Hi,

Has anyone else had the problem where you can't use dots in the folder name (for example, 'Stuff from mydomain.com')? Better yet, does anyone have a *solution* to this problem?

From what I've been able to find out, it appears to be a problem with Courier and the fact that it uses '.' as its folder delimiter rather than '/'. BincIMAP (which we were using at my company before Courier) doesn't have any problem with this.

Can anyone lend any ideas how to make my qmailtoaster installation work with dots in the folder name?

One crazy idea I had was to just try and install and use BincIMAP on our new Qmailtoaster setup. Does anyone know if that would work or how hard it would be? I know one of Qmailtoaster's strengths is that it's supposed to be really easy to install all its many different components and have them work together, but perhaps it's possible to drop in a replacement for courier??

Thanks,
Tyler Rick

------------
Appendix

Here's an old post on the courier-imap list that seems to imply that it's "impossible" to do with courier...

> From: Jason Haar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Re: How do you use dots in folder names?
> 2005-10-12 16:15
>  Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>  > Jason Haar writes:
>  >
>  >> This must be a FAQ, but I can't find any reference to it.
>  >>
> >> I need to be able to have dots inside subfolder names (I want to be able > >> to have email addresses as subfolders for a project I'm working on), but
>  >> of course Courier-IMAP uses the dot (".") as the folder delimiter.
>  >>
>  >> Is there a way of escaping it or something  so that it shows up
>  >> correctly?
>  >
>  >
>  > Nope.  Welcome to IMAP.
>  >
>  Yeah - had a similar problem with IMAP to Exchange (which uses the "/"
>  as a delimiter). Had a user with a subfolder called "Home/Personal".
> Worked fine via MAPI to Exchange - but couldn't access via IMAP to Exchange.
>
>  Some form of escaping/encoding should be in place to handle that -
>  pretty bad to be limiting what a user can do WRT what chars are
>  available... :-(

And here are some interesting posts from the BincIMAP list...

http://projects.standblue.net/markive/message.moto?list=bincIMAP&ID=521 :

   You say we should disallow both '.' and '/' in mailbox names

       I say '.' is not a delimiter, it's an artifact from NNTP

   You say NNTP is off topic

       I say '/' and '\' are natural delimiters, while '.' is not, and
there is no reason to not allow '.' in mailbox names.

   You say '/' and '\' are not natural

       I say you're splitting hairs, because '/' and '\' are the most
common hierarchy delimiters

http://projects.standblue.net/markive/message.moto?list=bincIMAP&ID=515 :

   You're mixing up a mailbox representation and its name again. The
user is less likely to accept not being able to use '.' than '/' or '\'.

       True, although it hasn't stopped people from using Courier.

   First we need to agree that there is no reason whatsoever to
disallow '.' in a mailbox name.

       If '.' is the hierarchy separator used by the imap daemon, then
there's no way for a client to create or request a mailbox which
contains a period. The periods are hierarchy separators. OK, we
therefore use '/' as the hierarchy separator. If we do so, we don't
allow '/' in mailbox names.