This is a bit delayed.. but I wanted to do this as well, but I didn't want
to create a virtual host for every mail. domain we have (and create in the
future). I know a bit more about web servers than I do about mail, so it was
nice to put my web expertise to use in a mail enviroment.. :)

in the httpd.conf,  remove the comment "#" on
#NameVirtualHost *:80
save and exit
edit the squirrelmail.conf as per Jake's method, though I tweaked it a bit.
Add this to the bottom..

<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot /usr/share/squirrelmail
ServerAlias mail.*
</VirtualHost>

This will throw everyone coming in on any mail. subdomain to go to
squirrelmail. However, by rules of apache, unless you add different
virtualhosts to the mix, it will always through them to squirrelmail now no
matter the domain they used. If you want to change it, use a different
subdomain and add that virtualhost to the confs.

Jared