Massimiliano Fontana wrote:
Hi all !
I've got a Qmailtoaster installation which is running flawlessly on my main server since August 2005. Now my goal is to install another server in order to create a cluster system . I've talked to my boss and he doesen't like the idea of a backup mx server . He'd like a "transparent" redundant system so my conclusion is that I need to create a Cluster . To be honest i'm a little bit afraid 'cos it's a topic I've never faced and it' doesen't seem to be an easy thing to do !!! Plus , I'm unfortunately a pretty linux newbie. So , here are the questions : Correct me if I'm wrong but I understood ( hope so) that I need to properly intall and configure DRBD ,HEARTBEAT nad MON on my 2 servers ( a new one is shortly coming) . 1) : Shall I start everything with a fresh installation on both servers or can I add the second one without the need to reinstall everything on the first one?
2) What are the fundamental Qmail directories to replicate with DRBD ?
3): What about MYSQL ?
4) Has anyone already done something like that ?
Consider I'm using Centos 4.2 so I guess I'll have to install it also on the new server , don't I ?
Your precious suggestions will be much much appreciated !!!
Many many thanks in advance.
I have set up a couple cluster type systems for testing, but it can be a daunting task. You CAN do the heartbeat method, rsync the data (or use NFS share), and sync the mysql databases on a frequent basis. The preferred method would (ideally) use 3 servers - 2 front ends, and 1 back end handling mysql/NFS. That way your database and actual emails themselves would be on a machine that exported a NFS share that the other 2 mounted, and supplied mysql services to those 2 machines as well (you'd actually want to run mysql in slave mode to the master to speed things up). Bill Shupp has a **little** information on this:
http://shupp.org/maps/ispcluster.html
I even set one up to use sshfs (FUSE) instead of the NFS share (I was running it on 2 machines across the world from each other, and NFS can be too insecure for this) with replicating mysql databases, but attachments were a problem if they were over 1.8 meg with this method, as a FYI. Duplicate messages evolved and I did not feel like modifying the source code to stop it.
Good luck!