Well, the problem was in my control files. Or to be more truthful... It was
a layer 8 problem.

This server is named rci.company2.local, and it has a public A Record
pointed at mail.company2.com with a routable IP address (the CNAME is in the
caching DNS server located on the box).

It hosts mail for company2.com and filters mail for company1.com (meaning,
it hands the mail off to the Exchange box on the local domain)

I had removed the host name from the rcpthosts file (I don't recall the
logic behind it) and it had only the following entries:
Company2.com
Companh1.com

It would seem that the actual name of the box itself is necessary in a setup
like this.

But all is well (other than a few peckish users)

Hope that helps someone.

Ron Jones
P 678.921.0318
C 770.378.3647