Dewain Riddle wrote:
I finally upgraded a few years old qmail-toaster installation to the
newest version under CentOS 3.

I thought I'd share my experiences, If someone else is planning a same
kind of operation.

First I shutdown my toaster:

  service qmail stop

Now no new messages are accepted and they are queued at the sending
end (I have no 2ndary MX). I sent a test message outside the server
just to find out how soon the message would reach me after I got my
toaster back up and running (the result: I received the message about
6hrs after my toaster was started again).

Note, this will vary depending on the sending server's configuration. The length of time the server is down will likely effect the delay too (the longer it's down, the longer the delay after coming back up).

Got backup script from
http://v2gnu.com/qmail/qmail-restore-script-1.2.tar.gz

Unpackaged the backup script:

  tar xfz qmail-restore-script-1.2.tar.gz

Edited the user variables and mysql settings in qmail-backup script and
then ran it:

  ./qmail-backup-2.7.sh

The backup took several hours to complete.

Then I removed conflicting old packages:

  rpm -e --nodeps libdomainkeys control-panel-toaster spamassassin-toaster
\
  courier-imap-toaster-doc

And installed a dependency I knew (from my test upgrade) I would need
(these are probably CentOS 3 specific):

  yum install pcre-devel
  wget \
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/9/i386/RPMS.stable/perl-forward-compat-5.8.0-0.fdr.2.i386.rpm
  rpm -ivh perl-forward-compat-5.8.0-0.fdr.2.i386.rpm

Next I used the upgrade script from http://wiki.qmailtoaster.com that
I had downloaded previously. It downloads the needed packages,
recompiles them and then installs them. You can probably do this by
hand, too. The script I used was "Last modified: May 26, 2006". The
script has been updated since and uses a sandbox nowadays. I did not
try with the new script. If you need the one I used, I can send a
copy.

I edited the variables in the beginning of the scrip to match my setup:

  DISTRO=rht90
  ARCH=i386
  BDIR=redhat

And then ran it:

  ./qmailtoaster_upgrade.sh

After the script finished, I checked my mysql setup from
/var/qmail/control/sql and inserted
the same info to the new mysql setup file
/home/vpopmail/etc/vpopmail.mysql

As I wanted spam and virus checking only for one domain for starters,
I edited the new file /var/qmail/simcontrol:

  example.com:clam=yes,spam=yes,spam_hits=12,attach=.src:.bat:.pif
  :clam=no,spam=no,spam_hits=12,attach=.src:.bat:.pif

As I use smtproutes, I wanted to disable domainkeys. I also found out
that badmimetypes was also blocking attachments (.exe for example)
which I wanted to get rid of. So I edited

I also found out that I needed to setup the Qmail Toaster Admin
htaccess password again with htpasswd and that qmailadmin URL had
changed to /qmailadmin/ (at least with me it was previously at
/toaster.admin/ orsimiliar) /etc/tcprules.d/tcp.smtp to look like
this:

  127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
  123.123.123.123:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
:allow,CHKUSER_RCPTLIMIT="50",CHKUSER_WRONGRCPTLIMIT="10",QMAILQUEUE="/var/qmail/bin/simscan"

where 123.123.123.123 was my email server's ip address. I rebuilt the cdb:

  cd /etc/tcprules.d/
  tcprules tcp.smtp.cdb tcp.smtp.tmp < tcp.smtp

Then I replaced the startup init script to the new one:

  cd /etc/init.d/
  mv qmail.rpmnew qmail

And started the service.

After startup everything else was fine, except that I found out that
mail sent from command line did not get a domain set correctly (it was
empty). I found out that in /var/qmail/control/
new files defaulthost and defaultdomain were created and that they
were empty. I added my host and domain name to those files, restarted
the service and everything was fine after that.

yes, great write-up.  would this be a good thing to put on the wiki just
in case someone wanted to read it without digging through emails?

I think that'd be great (for someone besides me) to to! Please note the toaster version that was upgraded from.