Todd,

I did the same thing by creating the .qmail file for the alias that I
was trying to pipe to.  For me it was /home/vpopmail/domains/my domain
name/.qmail-support.  In the .qmail-support file I have
"|/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate \ --queue General \ --action correspond --url
http://support.mydomainname.com/";  Hope this helps.

  -Josh

Unix is user friendly, it is just picky about who its friends are.