On 11/15/06, Eric Shubes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Nicolas Wegener wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Eric Shubes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Nicolas Wegener wrote:
>> > Hello all,
>> >
>> > I have been polling my hair out trying to fix this problem. Emails are
>> > taking for ever to get to my server, I believe I have pin pointed the
>> > problems, however I cannot find whats wrong with my install.
>> >
>> > I've been using qmail-toaster on this domain for about a year now & I
>> > love it (good work guys). However I had to upgrade to fc5, in the
>> > process I had to remove the qmail-toaster rpms. After backing
>> > everything up reinstalling qmail-toaster I'm stuck with a "filtered"
>> > smtp socket (according to nmap) runing on the host. I checked the
>> > process list 'ps -AH' & I have a zillion "qmail-smtpd -> simscan ->
>> > spamc". I've been back & forth with the built in firewall (which I
>> > really don't like), It's currently disabled and at this point there is
>> > no firewall between the server and outside world.
>> >
>> > if anyone has any clue as to what I did wrong... Just let me know...
>> > If you need to see some other file... Just let me know... Thanks in
>> > advance for your help.
>> >
>> > I've included tcp.smtp, my process list, & the nmap results.
>> >
>> > The host is "renslowssystems.com"
>> >
>> <snip>
>>
>> I'm guessing that SA is having problems. I would:
>>
>> .) Verify permissions (vpopmail:vchkpw) on /home/vpopmail/.spamassassin/*
>> .) # qmailctl stop
>> .) kill any zombied processes (qmail-smtp, spamc)
>> .) # sudo -u vpopmail -H spamassassin -D --lint
>> .) # sa-learn -u vpopmail --force-expire
>>
>> Let us know if that clears things up or not.
>> --
>> -Eric 'shubes'
>>

> Eric,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply... it's appreciated greatly. However I ran
> the above commands & my two problems (filtered socket... & endless
> amounts of smtpd processes) still exist. I'll try running them again,
> but do you got any other ideas?
>
> -Nic

We'll, that doesn't eliminate SA entirely, but it narrows things down a bit.
I doubt that running them again will help. They should have sync'd the bayes
journal and run any due expirations.

Are you seeing anything unusual in the smtp and spamd logs?

-----------------
- Spamd Log
-----------------
@400xx [9075] info: spamd: connection from localhost.localdomain
[127.0.0.1] at port 43465
@400xx  [9075] info: spamd: processing message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> for clamav:89
@400xx [8840] info: spamd: clean message (4.4/5.0) for clamav:89 in
8.5 seconds, 23804 bytes.
@400xx  info: spamd: result: . 4 -
AWL,BAYES_50,DATE_IN_PAST_03_06,FB_LIKE_NIGERIA,FM_NO_STYLE,HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_20,HTML_MESSAGE,NO_REAL_NAME
scantime=8.5,size=23804,user=clamav,uid=89,required_score=5.0,rhost=localhost.localdomain,raddr=127.0.0.1,rport=43460,mid=<[EMAIL
 PROTECTED]>,bayes=0.439404919280519,autolearn=no
@400xx  [8382] info: prefork: child states: BBBBB
@400xx  [8382] info: prefork: server reached --max-children setting,
consider raising it
- End Of Spamd Log

I'm assuming that "server reached --max-children setting, consider
raising it" is from all the processes? That statement along with the
one above it "child states: BBBBBB" is all over the spamd log... as
far as I can tell it's on every listing in the log. The smtp log shows
emails coming in... but has no errors/warnings.

Any thoughts?

-Nic