Warren (mailing lists) wrote:
Jake Vickers wrote:
Warren (mailing lists) wrote:
sa-learn is using so much memory and CPU time that it is killing my server. I have renamed it for now, but would like to know if there is a way to limit the amount of memory or processes that it uses?
I had the same problem here. 67M a process eats up the ram quickly.
Go to your run file for spamd (/var/qmail/supervise/spamd/run) and add the --maxchildren=x option to limit how many processes it will spawn:
exec /usr/bin/spamd --max-children=5 -x -u vpopmail -s stderr 2>&1

Thanks Jake - as usual you are the man!

That might be something to consider putting into the defaults, as most people are not running mail servers with 8GB of RAM.

Naw, I'm just good at breaking stuff. Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. I found that 5 children works for me on a 512M 2.4 Intel Celeron that hosts a few web sites (PHP blogs and what not) and runs as a DNS server for the domains I manage. I can bump it up to 7 before I get into swap, but I wanted to make sure I could add a few more rules without having to remember to edit that file again. You'll have to decide what works best for you.
Good luck!