I agree that it'd be nice if these parameters were run-time configurable. I
asked the author (Tonino) about that some time ago:

I wrote:
>> I'm using the qmail-toaster package which contains chkuser. A few
>> installations
>> have had need to adjust some settings (CHKUSER_ALLOW_SENDER_SRS and
CHKUSER_ALLOW_SENDER_CHAR_?
>> in particular). This is fairly cumbersome to do (expecially for novice
users),
>> having to rebuild the entire qmail-toaster package.
Tonino replied:

> You don't have to rebuild whole toaster.
> Modify your chkuser_settings.h.
> Stop qmail
> Just "make setup check"
> Start qmail

I think he didn't understand that with the toaster, we don't leave the whole
build environment laying around on disk (which I think is appropriate).

Perhaps someone else could be more convincing. The chkuser list is
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tim,
There is a slightly easier way to pause the build process while modifying
chkuser.h than editing the sleep parameter in the spec file. I think it
involves ctrl-z, but I'm not positive on that. Search the archives and I
think you'll find it. If you like it, it'd be nice if you'd update the wiki
chkuser page. I've neglected to do that.