Wojciech Gabor wrote:
I understand if is set "--disable-clear-passwd" that CRAM-MD5 not work. But why is enable?

<code>
# telnet smtp.lo.pl 25
Trying 195.116.217.42...
Connected to smtp.lo.pl (195.116.217.42).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 listowy.lo.pl - Welcome to Qmail Toaster Ver. 1.3 SMTP Server ESMTP
EHLO poczta
250-listowy.lo.pl - Welcome to Qmail Toaster Ver. 1.3 SMTP Server
250-STARTTLS
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 20971520
250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
</code>
This is because qmail-smtpd itself is independent of password-checking module. You can easily use any other qmail-passwd-compatible utility to handle auths of any kind. This is the design of qMail itself and we have nothing to do with it.

Concerning the real cause of a problem: of you compile vpopmail with "--disable-clear-passwd" - it leads to inability to do CRAM-MD5 auths, as they require server to know clear text password to produce correct digests. Solution is to recompile vpopmail to store also clear text passwords.

--
Best regards,
Alexey Loukianov                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]