Greetings, Quinn.

31 января 2007 г., 13:16:20 you have wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 02:33:24 +0300, Alexey Loukianov wrote:
>> AFAIK, it chooses the LAST available interface on the system (the
>> last one ifconfig shows). This behavior is something I dislike and
>> I'm thinking about implementing a patch allowing manual selection of
>> outgoing IP/port pair to send a message from for qmail-rspawn.

> We use iptables to set the source IP address for outgoing smtp
> traffic. It has happened before that we needed to change IP address if one
> becomes blacklisted.

> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp -m --dport 25 -j SNAT --to-source
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

That's ok, if all of your traffic is of the same 'type'.
Sometimes it's required to generate mail traffic from one host serving
different purposes. Good example from real life are out corporate
mailing list servers. Their mail queue rarely gets lower that 100000
mails in it, resulting in relatively slow message delivery (it takes
long enough for qmail-send to check up status of all the messages in
queue). But it required for us to have some of the messages in queue
to be delivered ASAP - most notably this are urgent messages for root
about errors in Cron jobs, or notifications from Nagios-like services.

Best approach in this case is to fork another QT installation, placed
let's say in /var/qmaillist, that is only serving outgoing mailing
lists. Then, I need to route mail traffic for these two instances of
QT differently, which can only be done on router/firewall if outgoing
mail traffic gets sent from different IPs on the same server.
ATM there's no way in qmail-send to specify which interface to use.
That's what brings me into thinking about implementing a patch for
this task.

--
Best Regards,
 Alexey Loukianov                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Software Development Department,
Lavtech Corp
http://mnogo.ru, http://lavtech.ru