I do realize it makes me a frightening newbie in the world of mailserver administrators. But I really haven't been bothering much with SpamAssassin built into Toaster. I've instead been relying on desktop-level Junk and Spam filters. But, like most people, I am trying to improve things, and one way I would like to do so is to get SpamAssassin to work for us to reduce the amount of spam to a more manageable level.

To that end, having read Jake Vicker's Qmail Stuff page some time back, I've been storing up messages that come into my box that are Spam. I go through the Webmail interface every morning and send everything that isn't a valid and legit email into a SPAM folder I created in my account. I've built up quite a stockpile, in no small part because Jake's page made it clear you need quite a few messages in place before sa-learn can do its job.

I tried to run sa-learn once before and got an error message. But at the time, I had so much else to deal with that I just decided to back- burner the issue and come back to it later. And while I am no less swamped now, this is far enough up in my priority queue that I want to figure this out. I'm waiting with baited breath for the chance to get the spambox option running. Anyway. I tried to run the sa-learn command line as it is shown on Jake's page:

/usr/bin/sa-learn --spam /home/vpopmail/domains/dob-world.com/spam/ Maildir/new/* /usr/bin/sa-learn --spam /home/vpopmail/domains/dob-world.com/spam/ Maildir/cur/*

That didn't work, as that didn't remotely fit the paths of things on my server (in both obvious and non-obvious ways). So I peeked about, and then tried a couple of my own:

/usr/bin/sa-learn --spam /home/vpopmail/domains/<our_domain>/*/ Maildir/.Spam/new/* /usr/bin/sa-learn --spam /home/vpopmail/domains/<our_domain>/*/ Maildir/.Spam/cur/*

This should, theoretically, go poking about in every user's folder, looking for a Spam folder, and grabbing anything stored there and letting sa-learn munch on it to start creating spam rules. Right?

But what I got back was an error, from which I'm not really sure where to go or what to do. I'm hoping that someone here may be wise and learned enough to guide me. My error (also quoted in my subject line) was the following:

-bash: /usr/bin/sa-learn: /usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter: Argument list too long

Roxanne