Terry Rigby wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 07:57, Eric "Shubes" wrote:
>> Fetchmail is forwarding via localhost, which doesn't get scanned
>> (RELAYCLIENT is set). This is normal behavior.
>>
>> I think that if you configure fetchmail to forward via the external address
>> on the toaster (come back in using the front door instead of the internal
>> address), it will scan messages as you desire.
>>

> So there is no way to have spamassassin scan mail that is delivered locally?
> I know its unlikely, but that means one user or domain could spam another
> user/domain on the same domain as the mail would never leave the domain and
> all be delivered locally.  Am I correct here?  Seems like there "should" be a
> setting somewhere allowing local mail to be scanned as well.
>
> Terry Rigby

Before I answer, I should explain something. It's not entirely a matter of
inter/intra-domain. It's also a matter of tcprules.

Squirrelmail (in the stock configuration) is sent via localhost (127.0.0.1).
The tcp.smtp rules have RELAYHOST set for localhost, so SA is not invoked by
simscan. If you do not set RELAYHOST for 127.0.0.1 in
/etc/tcprules.d/tcp.smtp, the messages coming through localhost will be
scanned. What I don't know is if SM authenticates when sending external
email or not. If not, that would be a problem. If it does, then you could
simply remove RELAYHOST from the 127.0.0 entry in tcp.smtp (and regenerate
the cdb), and you should be good to go.

BL, I'm not positive what would happen. Try removing RELAYHOST from tcp.smtp
and see what it does. ;)