I all.

I got some kind of solution to the problem posted some month ago.

The trick is that in the configuration file of courier auth daemon there
was authpam and autvchkpw, by leaving only authvchkpw the problem
doesn't appears anymore.

don't ask me why.. I think that this could be a bug of courier auth
daemon, but I'm not so sure.

My friend Miguel Beccari, which pointed out this solution, said to me
that this prolem was solved also some years ago, and has been solved by
him in the same way.

I think that the default authdaemon config file installed by the install
scripts may contain only the vchkpw backend.

Warning: anyway this problem is very hard to solve.. because it seems
not to follow any (ANY) critical aspect as system load, number of
connection, time of day, type of client, type of access and so on. I
think that it's important to insert some note on the wiki.

We may thank M.B. for this.