You probably aren't wanting these (crontabs) in a separate "root" account anyways, so save yourself the trouble of setting up mail aliases for root...

Step 1) Set your crontab to send emails to YOU (root is just a default)
             Place the line below near the top of your /etc/crontab file (filename may be different for some distributions -- mine is Fedora / CentOS / RedHat ES)

             [EMAIL PROTECTED]

            DON'T FORGET to make cron re-read the config file (I use a HUP signal with "pkill -HUP crond", some might restart the service)

Step 2) Make sure that mail you send from the command line is formatted correctly. This usually implies making sure the following files (in /var/qmail/control) are correct:
            me                    should be your FQDN (on the Internet, not your LAN)... e.g.: mail.mydomain.com
            defaultdomain   should be your Internet domain name (not your LAN)... e.g.: mydomain.com
            defaulthost        should be same as me (above)
            plusdomain       should be same as defaultdomain (above)

             NOTE: When I install a NEW Qmail Toaster, I always have to reset these files, as my host name is a LAN host name, not an Internet one... the toaster build scripts are smart enough to get the settings from my running system. I've got to be smart enough to know that they need to be tweaked!

Step 3) Test your settings by sending a CLI mail message to yourself -- you'll have to check the log files to see if/where something went wrong. Try the command line:

            mail -s "Testing 123" [EMAIL PROTECTED] < /dev/null

            (Note: you may get a warning message that the message body is empty -- that really is OK, as it's what you asked for!)

            If it works, you'll receive a blank message from "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" with a Subject of "Testing 123" and nothing in the message.
            If it doesn't work, look at the send log (I use qmlog -- but you can also manually look in /var/log/qmail/send/current)

I hope this helps!

Dan McAllister, President

IT4SOHO, LLC
2171 Wrens Way
Clearwater, FL 33761

877-IT4SOHO: Toll Free
727-647-7646 In Pinellas
813-464-2093 In Hillsborough
727-507-9435 Fax Only

Janno Sannik wrote:
how to verify what's default domain for qmail?

A M wrote:
by default msgs will go to [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>