Hi Phil,
I did not change anything in qmail, it is a standard qmail-toaster running
like it is since several years.

I tested the other server as you can see here:
telnet smtp.kiv.de 25
Trying 195.226.81.250...
Connected to smtp.kiv.de.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp.kiv.de ESMTP EKOM21
helo atlas
250 smtp.kiv.de talking to XXXXX ([XX.XXX.XX.XXX])
mail from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
553 5.5.2 Bad command format

If I set the mail-address in <> it goes through graylisting.
telnet smtp.kiv.de 25
Trying 195.226.81.250...
Connected to smtp.kiv.de.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 smtp.kiv.de ESMTP EKOM21
helo atlas
250 smtp.kiv.de talking to XXXXX ([XX.XXX.XX.XXX])
mail from: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
250 2.1.0 Ok
rcpt to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
451 4.7.1 Greylisting in progress, please come back later

I searched google for the error and found the <> where required, some
mail-servers would insist on them while most servers where tolerant about
this fault.

Andreas

Am Montag, 14. Januar 2008 22:51 schrieb Phil Leinhauser:
> It's not normal for the post office to reject mail like that.  You should be
able to telnet into the SMTP port and simply send a message like this: