senthil vel wrote:
Dear Eric,
        In one of the qmail toaster, the pop3 usage is very very high
(~1000) users using it. The server load is increasing up to 80. So the
server responding strange, Many users are getting auth failure (In
outlook the password prompt is popping up frequently even the
'remember my password' option has been enabled.
       So i am interested to edit the file
/var/qmail/supervise/pop3/run. Its default value is

#!/bin/sh

PASSPROG="/home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw"
HOSTNAME=`hostname --fqdn`

exec /usr/bin/softlimit -m 9000000 \
/usr/bin/tcpserver -v -R -c 200 0 110 \
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup $HOSTNAME \
$PASSPROG /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1

I think increasing 9000000 to some high values, will make the server
some what regid. But as this is a very busy server, i am having a
short hesitation to take risk. So planned to make changes in a test
environment. But test server does not having that much traffic. So
that i was searching for a tool which make a fake traffic.

Can you help me in hardening the server.

Depending on the hardware, that should not be that much of a load. Increase the softlimit (double it) and tune mysql. I have servers with twice that load that run loads of around 10, but then again if you're running this on a P3 that will be a bit of a load.
Also tune tcpserver by turning off some un-needed options.