Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I really appreciate the help.

I did what Dave suggested and emptied the /var/qmail/control/ blacklists file and then reloaded. No change. Then I tried Eric's suggestion and set my external IP address the same as SM in the tcp.smtp file and rebuilt. This allowed me to send mail without delay. So it must be something within the server.

And although I am not seeing it myself, others with email accounts on the server are now reporting getting hundreds of duplicate incoming messages. Yuck. I think I might be fubar'd. On the other hand, maybe this gives someone an idea of where to look?

Thanks again for you generous help.