Eric Shubert wrote:
Jake Vickers wrote:
Eric Shubert wrote:
Jake Vickers wrote:
Maxwell Smart wrote:
So where does the SPAM go if the tick is not checked?

If it scores above your threshold in simscan, then it goes to /dev/null

I hate to nit pick, but to be more accurate I believe it's rejected as spam. In any case, the recipient can never see it.

Who are you kidding about hating to nit pick?
Technically, the copy that was received is delivered to /dev/null and an error message is sent to the originating server notifying them that the message was denied as spam. The SMTP session remains open during the simscan phase.

I'd really like to be clear on this, so I understand the inner workings.

My understanding is that yes, the SMTP session remains open during the simscan phase. If the score is over the threshold in the simcontrol file (spam_hits=n), then the message is flat out rejected, and the sending server is notified as such before the smtp session terminates. The message is never received (successfully), nor delivered to /dev/null. The sending server subsequently bounces the message back to the sender.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

It has to get a copy of the message to scan. It does not return a successful delivery command to the sending server until the scanning process is complete (the remote server thinks the receiving server it still receiving the message). If it fails any of the tests, a SMTP message is returned to the originating server and the copy of the message that the server did receive (to scan) is discarded - this is done before the SMTP session is closed. The originating server usually bounces a message to the sender, but since this is controllable it's hard to say what a given server will do with a bounce. Ultimately it has to get a copy of the message to scan, but leaves the SMTP session open so that it may return an error code (clarification: an error code is anything, even a successful code). Once it has decided to do something with the message, it still has to do something with the copy it got to scan.