Hi Maxwell,

following your description this is not a authentification problem but rather a
DNS or configuration issue.
Did you set the correct servername for outgoing mails in Thunderbird?
Is the protocol (smtp, submission) open on your (outgoing) firewall?
"Cannot connect to server" is far before authentification.
Try telnetting from those windows clients.

Andreas