Here is what I have to work with..
qtp-whatami v0.3.5
DISTRO=CentOS
OSVER=4.8
QTARCH=i686
QTKERN=2.6.9-89.0.18.ELsmp
BUILD_DIST=cnt40
BUILD_DIR=/usr/src/redhat
This machine's OS is supported and has been tested

I have done #yum update and all is fine
but when I did the yum install dovecot all is ok with the version it installed it just will not start up.
I keep getting the error I mentioned.
since this is a new machine I may attempt to get latest Centos distro and install the newest qtp. I am just tinkering to see if I can see what differences there are with dovecot.

--Dave