From: Tim Pleiman <tplei...@bravosystemstech.net>
Subject: [qmailtoaster] The "Brilliant" SA Y210K bugfix...NOT!
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 1:20 AM
This is the fix that was pushed
out...

From this:

##{ FH_DATE_PAST_20XX
header FH_DATE_PAST_20XX Date =~ /20[1-9][0-9]/ [if-unset: 2006]
describe FH_DATE_PAST_20XX      The date is
grossly in the future.
##} FH_DATE_PAST_20XX

To this:

##{ FH_DATE_PAST_20XX
header FH_DATE_PAST_20XX Date =~ /20[2-9][0-9]/ [if-unset: 2006]
describe FH_DATE_PAST_20XX      The date is
grossly in the future.
##} FH_DATE_PAST_20XX

It's a very badly written rule.

Tim
--
Tim Pleiman
Bravo Systems Technologies

I agree that it is a poor rule. Its effectiveness changes as time goes by, to the point where it's simply wrong.

Rules should withstand the test of time. If it's written in such a way that it takes the current date into account, that would fix the problem. Personally, I don't know how to do that, and don't have the time figure out if can even be done.

I'll be leaving the score of 0 for it in my local.cf, which I think is a better alternative. I highly doubt that this rule even fires (when 'fixed') on my system, given that spamdyke will most likely have already rejected any message that would satisfy this rule.