You can run VM on machines that are a couple years old, and can find them
fairly cheap on Ebay or Craigslist.  A couple of Dell 2650's, 2850's, or
1850's will run a couple of VM's with no problems.

Depending on the amount of mail you are expecting and rack space
availableity, you could probably do the load balancing, DNS and mail server
all on a single Dell 2650 at each location, using VMWare ESXi, Zen, or
pretty much most of the common VM's.  The 2650's can be had pretty easily
for around $200 - $300 w/drives.  2U of rack space at each location and
you're done.

If you need 1U's, go with the 1850's.  Maybe $300 - $500 each, and only 1U.

If it's still too much, then, yea, go with just the DNS Round Robin option.

Michael J. Colvin

NorCal Internet Services

 <http://www.norcalisp.com/> www.norcalisp.com

 <http://www.norcalisp.com/>