Hi Eric,

I tried what Dave had suggested to no avail. Now, I deleted the logfile, ran
'service freshclam restart' and this is the logfile in
/var/log/clamav/freshclam.log:

Thu Jun 17 19:10:14 2010 -> --------------------------------------
Thu Jun 17 19:10:14 2010 -> freshclam daemon 0.96.1 (OS: linux-gnu, ARCH:
x86_64, CPU: x86_64)
Thu Jun 17 19:10:14 2010 -> ClamAV update process started at Thu Jun 17
19:10:14 2010
Thu Jun 17 19:10:14 2010 -> main.cvd is up to date (version: 52, sigs: 704727,
f-level: 44, builder: sven)
Thu Jun 17 19:10:14 2010 -> daily.cld is up to date (version: 11207, sigs:
96571, f-level: 51, builder: ccordes)
Thu Jun 17 19:10:14 2010 -> bytecode.cld is up to date (version: 26, sigs: 3,
f-level: 51, builder: nervous)
Thu Jun 17 19:10:14 2010 -> --------------------------------------

The result for logwatch is still (I ran it manually):

--------------------- clam-update Begin ------------------------

The ClamAV update process (freshclam daemon) was not running!
If you no longer wish to run freshclam, deleting the freshclam.log
file will suppress this error message.

---------------------- clam-update End -------------------------

Now, one thing I wondered about is this: I am running CentOS 5.5 - perhaps
that, too has to do with this behaviour?

Thanks,

Martin

Am 17.06.2010 um 17:07 schrieb Eric Shubert:

> Martin Waschbuesch wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Although freshclam is definitely running (and working,too), and there is a
>> valid and readable freshclam.log in /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log, I get the
>> folllowing via my daily logwatch:
>> --------------------- clam-update Begin ------------------------ The ClamAV
>> update process (freshclam daemon) was not running!
>> If you no longer wish to run freshclam, deleting the freshclam.log
>> file will suppress this error message.
>> ---------------------- clam-update End ------------------------- Anyone any
>> idea why this might be?
>> Thanks,
>> Martin
>> --
>
> I noticed this recently as well, but didn't get around to trying to debug it.
>
> There might be a subtle bug in the
> /usr/share/logwatch/scripts/services/clam-update script, although that script
> hasn't been touched in over 4 years.
>
> Please post the contents of your /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log file that
> correspond to the date in question, and we'll see if we can't determine what
> the problem is.
>
> --
> -Eric 'shubes'

"In everyone there sleeps
A sense of life lived according to love.
To some it means the difference they could make
By loving others, but across most it sweeps
As all they might have done had they been loved.
That nothing cures."

Philip Larkin 'Faith Healing'