Amit,

There's a difference between an immediate error and a bounce. I think what you have here is a failure to submit (immediate error), not a bounce. A bounce would be a message that has been successfully submitted, but failed to be delivered within a certain time period.

This is an interesting dilemma. The first thought that came to my mind was that if they used MS Outlook, they wouldn't have this problem, since Outlook has its own mail queue. That's not really a good thing imo, and don't recommend it as a solution. Outlook is riddled with other problems I'd rather not get into.

Your real problem here is internet availability. Solve that, and this problem goes away with it.

You should have a caching nameserver (resolver) on your QMT. If you don't, install the caching-nameserver package (CentOS) and set your resolv.conf file accordingly (nameserver 127.0.0.1). This will cache domain names, so if someone sends to a domain that was looked up recently, they wouldn't get this error. I expect this might help a little, but not entirely.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a way to disable this check in the tcp.smtp file.

Hey Tonino (the chkuser author sometimes lurks here), am I right on this? Do you have a suggestion? I was thinking that perhaps chkuser shouldn't return an error on 4xx conditions, only 5xx conditions. What yo you think?

If Tonino doesn't see this, you might want to contact him on the vpopmail users list.

Amit Dalia wrote:
Hi Eric/Maxwell,

Thanks local DNS solved the problem. Another issue with that client is the below error:

'ami...@rediffmail.com <mailto:b_thomb...@rediffmail.com>' on 25/06/2010 05:27 PM
  451 DNS temporary failure (#4.5.1 - chkuser)

When there internet is down and if any user send mail to external domain they immediately get above bounced message. I explained them it is because DNS is not resolvable when internet is down. But they want mail should be in queue atleast for 24 hrs even if internet is down. I increased queue life to 24 hrs but no success.

How can I stop such bounce message to user for 24 hrs? Else how can stop this bounce message completely from my QMT server.

Regards,

Amit