-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Shubert [mailto:e...@shubes.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2010 11:06 AM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: [qmailtoaster] Re: QMT on Xen? (I hope not)

Patrick Ring wrote:
> I've heard ESXi 4 fixes some of those issues. (Must have 64bit
> hardware
> though)
>
> I run some low-end services from the ESXi 3.5 hosts, but not much
> since there isn't much available support for doing so.
 >
> I do find my performance is better on ESXi than it was on VMWare
Server.
> But, I'm running on older Proliant DL360/380 G3 servers (dual xeon
> 2.8)

I would expect ESXi performance to be better than Server out of the box.

I wonder how much better though after tuning Server and the kernel a
bit.

> ESXi 3.5 is very picky about hardware.... Especially hard disk
> controllers and RAID devices.

Speaking of raid, I'm partial to software raid-1. Do you know if ESXi
supports software raid or not?

*P.R.* It would be dependant upon the controller.  So far I've found
that ESXi (especially 3.5) wants almost nothing but RAID controllers
(hardware-bound not fake).  ESXi 4 is supposed to be a bit more lenient
since there is a big shift on the entry-level servers to SATA, however,
if the machine is not 64bit native, it won't install.

*P.R.* With that in mind, I don't think a software RAID-1 would work
since ESXi would have to configure it from the start.  I'll have to see
what happens when I put a controller into JBOD mode.

-Patrick Ring

> -Patrick Ring
    Vickers Consulting Group offers Qmailtoaster support and
installations.
     For additional commands, e-mail:
qmailtoaster-list-h...@qmailtoaster.com