On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:10:43 -0500, Jacob Vickers wrote:
On 01/23/2011 12:27 PM, Cecil Yother, Jr. wrote:
I have a server that I installed the QMTISO on with 2TB hard drives. I
installed the OS with only one drive installed because I wanted to
backup to the second drive. When I installed the second drive it now sees them both as one. I realize this is because the LVG setup. The
question is can I run the second drive "independent" of the LVG?

CJ

Sure you can.

I strongly recommend though that you use the drives in a raid-1
(mirrored) configuration. That way, you get the benefit of having a copy of everything on a 2nd drive (I would not call this a backup however),
and the host will continue to run even if/when one drive fails.

I don't think the QMTISO will allow you to do this, but I'm not sure. You'll need to do a manual/custom HDD configuration for that, which is
fairly easy to do with the CentOS installer (anaconda).

When you select the "Advanced" option on the ISO installation it will
allow you to manually set partitions.
CJ - if you're asking about REMOVING a device from a LVG, you'll need to do some research on this - if they're active as "one big drive" then your current data may be already striped across both spindles and removing one
will remove portions of your current data. I believe there are some
documents and tools documented at the Linux Documentation Project that ay offer some suggestions on how to remove a drive from configurations such as this, but you'll need to look into it a little more. I do not have a lot of experience with it - after being bitten once I use standard mounts
and RAID.
Hope that helps.

Sounds like I'll be leaving it as is and cross backup to another server.

Thanks

Vickers Consulting Group offers Qmailtoaster support and installations. If you need professional help with your setup, contact them today!

Cecil Yother, Jr. "cj"
cj's
2318 Clement Ave
Alameda, CA  94501