Seeing as it does not work right now, I don't know where the servers are listed
on his system. Clearly there must be some configuration issue.

But at the same time, IMHO it is the best solution to ensure there is a
properly configured local DNS server.
Such a local DNS server has a config where you can list forwarding DNS servers
and that is where his name servers should be configured.

Imagine resolv.conf lists the two outside DNS servers directly.
Let's assume that the first entry (will be queried first) is down.

Although the system tries to send 50 individual mails to
some...@googlemail.com, the mail server will experience a timeout for the first
name server and only then query the secondary server. All that happens 50
times(!)
Now, if you have a working caching DNS server, as soon as the first timeout
happened and the secondary DNS server was queried, the local server has the DNS
entry stored and the remaining 49 messages do not encounter any timeout at all.

Martin

--
Martin Waschbüsch
IT-Dienstleistungen

Telefon: +49 89 57005708
Fax: +49 89 57868023
Mobil: +49 170 2189794
mar...@waschbuesch.de
http://martin.waschbuesch.de

Am 14.02.2011 um 09:06 schrieb Tony White:

> Hi,
>  So what/where are the two dns servers Marek
> says he is using?
>

> On 14/02/2011 7:02 PM, Martin Waschbüsch wrote:
>> That is not correct!
>> If localhost runs a caching DNS server, it will fetch DNS information from
>> forwarding DNS servers, which can be the ISP's, Google's, whatever.
>> The whole point of having a local caching DNS server is that it not only
>> takes care of using all DNS servers it knows about to fetch data, but also
>> to store that data and prevent DNS-lookup-heavy applications (like E-Mail
>> servers) to generate lots of additional traffic and overhead.
>>
>> So, if Marek runs a local DNS server and still gets problems, then we need
>> to look at that config.
>> If not, he really should install a caching DNS server (named, djbdns, etc.)
>>
>> In any case, resolv.conf is just fine only pointing to the local server.
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> --
>> Martin Waschbüsch
>> IT-Dienstleistungen
>> Lautensackstr. 16
>> 80687 München
>>
>> Telefon: +49 89 57005708
>> Fax: +49 89 57868023
>> Mobil: +49 170 2189794
>> mar...@waschbuesch.de
>> http://martin.waschbuesch.de
>>
>> Am 14.02.2011 um 07:59 schrieb Bruno De Leone:
>>
>>> That means your only DNS is your local DNS so the qmail will never find any
>>> server outside it's network...
>>>
>>> You should add the DNS of your preference. For example, to add google's
>>> DNS, edit the file /etc/resolv.conf and add these lines at the end of the
>>> file:
>>>
>>> nameserver 8.8.8.8
>>> nameserver 4.4.4.4
>>>
>>> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:39 AM,<d...@demod.pl>  wrote: