Ok, here is the device.map file in grub..

# this device map was generated by anaconda
(hd0)     /dev/mapper/isw_ddfebjifef_RAID_Volume0

On 05/14/2012 11:37 AM, David wrote:
Here is what the default image installs before an update and it will reboot with no issue.
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/mapper/isw_digeehiaa_Raid_0p2
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/mapper/isw_digeehiaa_Raid_0
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-194.8.1.el5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.img

The only thing different is the LABEL=/1 vs LABEL=/
I wonder if it tried to relabel but failed.
more to come