Congrats on finding this out on your own, Richard. I'm afraid though, that this isn't a very good solution to the problem. What you've done is to make yourself available as an open relay to all of the IP addresses included in the 'part of ip of transmitter'. This is great for spammers, and bad for you. If a spammer in that address range were to exploit the relay, you would soon find your IP address blacklisted, preventing you to send emails to many destinations. This is not a pleasant situation for anyone to be in. While the likelihood of someone actually exploiting your host may be low, it's best to simply eliminate the possibility. As a result, I recommend undoing your change to the tcp.smtp file, followed by doing a
# service qmail cdb
to make the change effective.

Now the question is, why/how did that cure your delivery problem? Adding the RELAYCLIENT variable does a few things, but not all that much. It causes simscan to bypass SpamAssassin scanning (clamav scanning is still done), and it allows the sender to send to absolutely any domain (the Relay part) as opposed to sending only to the domains which are local to your host (domains listed in your rcpthosts file).

As you'll notice in the smtp log, the next thing that typically follows the chkuser sender message is the chkuser rcpt (recipient) message. So it's a good guess that something is amiss with the message recipient(s), which is consistent with what we've observed with RELAYCLIENT. It's unfortunate in this case that qmail or chkuser doesn't give us any kind of message as to what exactly the problem is. That's not acceptable in my mind, but we'll have to work around it in the meantime.

Speaking of log messages, qmail/SPF used to reject incoming messages with no log message, but that's been subsequently fixed. I also don't know if RELAYCLIENT bypasses the SPF check or not. I suppose it's possible that this is the problem you're experiencing. You might try changing your /var/qmail/control/spfbehavior from 3 to 1, then restarting qmail, and see if perhaps that remedies your problem.

How old is your qmail-toaster package?
# rpm -qa | grep toaster | sort
will show us what versions you're running. Also,
# qtp-whatami
would be helpful.

Let us know if this remedies your problem or not. If it doesn't I would install spamdyke (definitely do this regardless), then use spamdyke's detailed logging facility to see exactly what's going on with this. That would be the easiest way to see exactly where the smtp session fails.