Tim Whitaker wrote:
> "Are you running Spamdyke?"
>
> No I don't believe so, but I can look into installing it.

Spamdyke is definitely worth having. It will reject a large amount of spam
at the earliest possible point, through things like graylisting and rDNS
checks. This means that the spam doesn't have to be passed through more
expensive checks such as SpamAssassin later in the pipeline, so it
lightens the load on your server overall.

You can check to see if Spamdyke is installed and working with:

   tail -f /var/log/qmail/smtp/current | grep spamdyke

> "SpamAssassin logs to /var/log/qmail/spamd."
>
> Yeah I know about that log, but that only shows you that it's running, has
> pids and children, etc.  It doesn't actually give me any type of "I
> blocked this email because of X" kind of logging.

On my toaster, I can get information about SpamAssassin's activities with:

   tail -f /var/log/qmail/spamd/current | grep result | tai64nlocal

(the 'tai64nlocal' program is just there to descramble qmail's somewhat
eccentric timestamps; it may not necessarily be installed on your system,
so just leave it out if you have problems).

Angus