Thanks Dan, that's exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if
this was the proper way to configure the MX records, or if all of my
domains should have MX records that point to a single A record in my
primary domain, which is where the PTR for my IP points to and that is
in my ME file. It sounds like either will work.

On 04/28/2014 13:55,
Dan McAllister wrote:

> Kelly:
>
> While Eric's reply is clear about
the fact that the MX record has to use an A record reference (vs CNAME),
I think the answer you need here is simply that the A-record has to
point to the correct IP address. What name you put in the MX record is
of little import, so long as it references an A record that points to
the correct IP address.

> ===
>
> By way of examples (for other
users):
> Say my mail host is at 10.0.0.2, behind a NAT router with WAN
IP address 1.2.3.4 (apologies to Google for using their IP in my
example).
> - my mail host listens on ALL the standard ports (25, 80,
110, 143, 443, 465, 587, 993, & 995) for web and mail hosting (all
forwarded through my router).
> - my mail host uses a name of
MAIL.QMTHOSTING.COM (that's one of MY OWN hosting domains, so no worries
about using it here)
> - my clients each have their own domains (for
grins, we'll use A.COM, B.COM, C.COM, etc)
> - in general, my clients
DNS servers (whether hosted by me or not, with entries for their domains
that look like:
>     @ IN MX 10 MAIL
>     MAIL IN A 1.2.3.4
>
> Thus,
to the outside world, they have an MX server at MAIL.A.COM, which
resolves to 1.2.3.4. (Their domain name, their A record, my IP
address).

> Now, where the SPAM detection for IP addressing starts is
when an outside mail server connects:
> - sendingdomain.com wants to
send to u...@a.com & detects the MX record is MAIL.A.COM, which resolves
(by A-record) to 1.2.3.4
> - sendingdomain.com connects to 1.2.3.4 on
port 25 and gets an EHLO response that the name of the server is
MAIL.QMTHOSTING.COM
> - sendingdomain.com then does a DNS query for
MAIL.QMTHOSTING.COM and gets an IP of 1.2.3.4 -- so far, so good
> -
sendingdomain.com next does a DNS query for 1.2.3.4 (actually,
4.3.2.1.IN-ADDR.ARPA) and gets a PTR value of MAIL.QMTHOSTING.COM --
bingo! a match!
> - sendingdomain.com continues sending the message
(presumably to a domain in the rcpthosts file)...

> The trouble comes
when you want to connect your _CLIENTS_...
> - for WEBMAIL, I simply
create an entry for each domain (HTTPS://MAIL.A.COM [1], etc) that
redirects to the real ssl page HTTPS://MAIL.QMTHOSTING.COM [2]. That way
the SSL certificate (which only has the name mail.qmthosting.com in it)
works. (I do not allow webmail access except through https).

> - for
IMAP mail, there are 3 options:
> a) connect to MAIL.A.COM on port 143
and use IMAP with _no security_ (BAD IDEA -- I only allow this on one
host, and only because the client INSISTS upon it)
> b) connect to
MAIL.A.COM on port 993 and use IMAP OVER SSL -- clients will have
_varying degrees of difficulty _as the SSL Cert won't match the host
name
> c) connect to MAIL.QMTHOSTING.COM on port 993 and use IMAP OVER
SSL with my TRUSTED SSL CERTIFICATE (names match, so no errors, and no
worries!)
> NOTE: Most clients choose option C -- in large part because
I tell them to :)

> - The same general idea goes for POP access, only
on ports 110 and 995.

> SMTP access is a little more tricky... it is
a BEST PRACTICE to disallow SMTP-AUTH on port 25 (because it can be
abused -- I'm not sure how, but all the major anti-virus and anti-spam
companies tell me so, and I'm not of a need to determine exactly why --
I have bigger fish to fry!). Since this is the only un-authenticated
access to the system, this port's SMTP service is plugged into SPAMDYKE
-- which has been told to NOT allow SMTP-AUTH. But that is OK, because
we're talking about CLIENT access to an SMTP server here:
> - I allow
SMTP-AUTH with or without SSL on port 587 (if you choose to enable SSL,
remember that the certificate is for the site mail.qmthosting.com)
> - I
allow SMTP-AUTH only with SSL on port 465 (again, remember that the
certificate is for the hostname mail.qmthosting.com).

> So, clients
can configure their SMTP access as being on port 587 using mail.a.com,
or port 465 using SSL and the host name mail.qmthosting.com.

really need to post some of this on the WIKI ... sigh when I'm less
overworked :)

> Dan
>
> On 4/25/2014 7:41 PM, Kelly Cobean wrote:
>

>> Sorry about the hijack Eric. Won't do that again. One last question.
Should the MX records for the other domains indicate the hostname that
is in the me file or should they be a record for a host in their own
domain that maps to my server ip? Ie should I have 5 domains all with
identical MX entries?

>> Sent from my iPhone
>
> --
> IT4SOHO,