We are implementing a new piece of software to handle vacation
requests. The program connects directly to our Qmail server's SMTP -
no other mail servers are involved. Said software sends an email to
the requester and their supervisor when the supervisor okays the
vacation request. The requester currently receives the same email
twice because the program puts the requester's email address in both
the TO: and the CC: headers. The software developer and I are having a
bit of a "discussion" regarding this.

My position is that Qmail is doing its job correctly by delivering the
email exactly as it is addressed and the problem lies in his program
which is clearly incorrect in the way that it addresses the message.

The developer's position is that our email server is at fault. He
"proved" this by sending an email with his address in it 5 times (once
in TO: and 4x in CC:). He claims that Qmail is at fault because other
email servers (like Exchange and Gmail) are, and I quote, "smart
enough to recognize that all copies are for one person therefore
instead of 5 emails only one copy is in my inbox." Because of this,
getting him to fix his broken program is becoming somewhat of an
issue.

Just to confirm here - anybody have a handy RFC to prove that Qmail is
actually doing what it should by delivering email as addressed and the
other mail servers are actually behaving in a non-standard way by
"deciding" that the emails are all the same and only delivering one
copy? Or am I wrong and Qmail is indeed in the wrong by delivering
exactly what the headers tell it to?

--
Best regards,
 Diana Calder                         mailto:dcal...@essexcountylibrary.ca