Diana:

I have some opinions on this matter that may or may not care to read:

1) Computers are designed to do what we ask them to. When programmers and administrators start to get TOO SMART, and second-guess the "users", problems often arise. When you provide to QMail a message envelope with 3 recipients, it's going to deliver 3 copies -- regardless of who they are addressed to. GMail is consolidating duplicate recipients to reduce their storage requirements -- and because they get TONS of SPAM addressed in odd ways trying to defeat their security measures. And if you think Exchange is so good, try using in-line attachments these days (the message will arrive, the attachment dutifully removed because MS unilaterally decided in-line attachments cause problems and they won't allow them anymore).

2) If the end-users of your business are flummoxed by duplicate e-mail messages, you should seriously consider taking away their computers and access to email at all. Really? They can deal with the 300 SPAM messages in their Junk folders just fine, but might be confused by this announcement message appearing more than once.

3) I have one word for your programmer: *UNIQ*
Send the contents of his mail message through *UNIQ *(which will combine any 2 or more contiguous lines that are exactly alike into just 1 line) The only real drawback would be that triple-spacing (2 blank lines) will become double-spacing (1 blank line), etc... but the duplicate receipts should be gone! *UNIQ *is BASIC *nix -- a typical example (in a class) being "given this list of vegetables in bags on this truck, how many different vegetables are there? -- and the answer is a simple sort piped into a uniq (/sort file | uniq/) which is then piped into a counting program (usually, wc -- to the final command is: /sort file | uniq | wc -l/ )

Just my thoughts...

Dan
IT4SOHO

(Am I being cranky today??)