On 09/21/2014 07:16 PM, Rajesh M. wrote:
eric

i studied the files over the weekend and found that basically what is being
done by qtp-install-sanesecurity is download the sanesecurity database files in
the specific locations according to the config file.

i created a folder called /opt/qmailtoaster-plus, create bin and other
directories as per the old qtp structure and, copied the
qtp-install-sanesecurity here and ran it.
but it did not work

on further checks i noted that the clam paths were different

in the 32 bit (qtp) installation the path is
/usr/share/clamav
there is no directory called /var/lib/clamav created

in the 64 bit (qt) it is
/var/lib/clamav
there is no directory called /usr/share/clamav created

That's likely why I didn't bring the qtp-install-sanesecurity script across, because it'd need some work. /var/lib/ is the "correct" place for these files in my mind. They're not static software files, so they don't belong in any /usr subdirectory in my mind. I think any rational sysadmin would agree with this.

however i use sanesecurity only for the foxhole_all.cdb files files because the
other databases give false positives many a time.

The only FPs I've seen from these lists is statements from banking or financial institutions of some sort, which doesn't surprise me. Rather than discontinue their use, my solution has been to add the IPs for these senders (AmEx for example) to the tcp.smtp file, so emails from those servers are not scanned at all. I think this is a reasonable and practical solution.

so i simply downloaded the foxhole_all.cdb file in the
/var/lib/clamav and clam is picking this up correctly

Is this file updated at all then automatically, or do you simply update it manually when you deem it necessary?

I'm not adverse, in fact I'd like to have any easy way to select these alternative files for scanning. Can you think of a nice way that might be implemented? Perhaps a script that lists and lets you select which ones to include? That'd be nice, I think.

on a side note

# /var/qmail/bin/simscanmk -g

gives the following error

LibClamAV Error: cl_cvdhead: Can't open file /usr/share/clamav/main.cvd
LibClamAV Error: cl_cvdhead: Can't open file /usr/share/clamav/daily.cvd
simscan versions cdb file built. /var/qmail/control/simversions.cdb

obviously this is because the clam path is different.

I missed that when I moved those files. Thanks. I'll see about updating the source and releasing a new simscan package soon. Should be an easy fix.

futher if possible pl let me know the command to stop  and start spamassassin

# service spamd
shows the options. Just like most other 'normal' services. :)

Thanks Rajesh!