> On Oct 20, 2015, at 10:29 AM, Dan McAllister <q...@it4soho.com> wrote:
> I have an issue I'd like to throw out there -- I have a small number of users
> (on a server with about 20,000 users) that are abusing the service in that
> they're purposefully sending out huge amounts of mail.
>
> Fortunately, so far none of their email campaigns have resulted in any RBL
> activity, but nearly every large-scale ESP (Email Service Provider) has
> limits set on the number of outbound messages per day (or per hour) that can
> be sent. I think we need the ability to enforce that too, but how?

Scanning the outbound logs would tell you when they’re exceeding their quota.

The brute-force solution then be to have a script that scanned the outbound
logs, counted the number of mails sent, and then changed their password if it
exceeded the limits. They’d then be shut out, and they’d have to ask you to
restore their account. The script could also generate a warning mail to them.

That ought to be fairly straightforward to implement, but it’s not very clean.

I’ve come across references to Bruce Guenter’s qmail-qfilter:

        http://untroubled.org/qmail-qfilter/
<http://untroubled.org/qmail-qfilter/>

which sounds as if it might provide a basis for what you want to do. However, I
have no experience with this, and no idea whether it’s something supported by
an un-patched qmailtoaster install.

Angus