But until I did the yum install pcre I got the errors during ./configure - it does check the libs I guess ? (many years since compiling was a daily/weekly occurence)

Well I must do a test tonight - I'm sure You're right - it's been to easy considered what the issue has caused others when reading the net

/Finn