>From: Dan McAllister

>Now I can't just reply to HOW without adding my 2-cents worth as to why I
think "bounce-no-mailbox" is the WORST of the options:

>-          It allows spammers to "mine" your domain for "good" email
addresses (which then get sold!). how? Send a note to a...@yourdomain.com,
b...@yourdomain.com, etc. For each one that does NOT get a bounceback, you have
a good address! SPAM IT!

>-          Once your domain is "mature" (been around a few years), your
"catchall" account will get thousands of emails a day - from spammers trying
to mine your domain!

My question is, would this not lead spammer to try to use your domain name
as a FROM? What I mean by that is, if you're not bouncing the bad addresses,
then a spammer can use your domain [I know, many don't check SPF or where
the domain is allowed to send email from records], to send email outbound.
Most email servers will check to see if the return email address is valid,
and qmail would say anth...@yourdomain.com is valid. While it would get
dumped into /dev/null since  you have "delete" as the final destination, I'm
not entirely sure allowing all email address for your domain to work is a
good idea.

I know a few years ago, I did have a few customers this happened to. We had
to disable the catch-all and instead, set it to bounce-no-mailbox. When we
did that, the spammers stopped trying to use the domain as a "from" address
[and yes, SPF records made no difference. it was the open catch-all that led
the spammers to use the domain as a "from" address].

Again, YMMV.

Carl