Francisco,

Also, concerning your initial question Dovecot does cache passwords. You might want to have a look here: https://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/Caching

Eric

On 3/21/2018 4:56 PM, Francisco Navarro -- N&A Consulting wrote:

Muchas gracias.

El 2018-03-21 22:09, Eric Broch escribió:

https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/Mechanisms

"Plaintext authentication

The simplest authentication mechanism is PLAIN. The client simply sends the password unencrypted to Dovecot. All clients support the PLAIN mechanism, but obviously there's the problem that anyone listening on the network can steal the password. For that reason (and some others) other mechanisms were implemented.

Today however many people use SSL/TLS <https://wiki2.dovecot.org/SSL>, and there's no problem with sending unencrypted password inside SSL secured connections. So if you're using SSL, you probably don't need to bother worrying about anything else than the PLAIN mechanism.

Another plaintext mechanism is LOGIN. It's typically used only by SMTP servers to let Outlook clients perform SMTP authentication. Note that LOGIN mechanism is not the same as IMAP's LOGIN command. The LOGIN command is internally handled using PLAIN mechanism."

Considering the above, I'd change the setting to 'auth_mechanisms = plain login'