Remo,

I just did this:

openssl s_client -starttls smtp -crlf -connect qmail.rm.ht:587

and got the same result.

Therefore you've probably had this problem for a while.

Are you using the cert with the "full chain"?  Apparently bare certs
rarely verify, and I've read several recommendations to provide the
server with the pem file containing the full chain.

If you read the stuff at the "STARTTLS Everywhere" site, they state that
most mail servers to not require (or even attempt) cert verification,
and changing this is one of their goals.

-Andy