so here is what I did on mine to make the vacation working:

I have the password which resets the password in case the user wants to change
it and that works ok unless you are using php7.x
(have not had time to debug that on that server running php 7 yet)

I have implemented managesieve plugin which user can set up an responder
setting like this:
create a new filter, select matching any of the following rules: then select
to: is equal to your email

select reply with message

That does exactly what qmailadmin autoresponder action does.

Hopefully that helps.
Remo