The linux command, "hostname", with backticks, i.e.,`hostname`, called command substitution, allows output of a command to be stored in another context, in this case the variable 'HOSTNAME'.

If I run the command "hostname" (below) at the prompt I get the following:

# hostname
myhost.mydomain.com

If I run the command "HOSTNAME=`hostname`" (below) at the prompt the output is stored in the variable 'HOSTNAME' (another context).

# HOSTNAME=`hostname`

# echo $HOSTNAME
myhost.mydomain.com