The recent questions about setting up DKIM prompted me to review my setup and see if I needed to tighten things up a bit. ALL of my config surrounding these things is very old, so what are the best practices in 2019?

On the receiving side of things, my server has spfbehavior set to 2 and I believe the default is 3. I seem to recall many years ago having problems rejecting email, that I didn't want rejected, with it set to 3. But that's been so long ago, it's not worth considering. Do most of you have it set to 3? And have you had any problems with that if you do?

For DKIM receiving, I'm doing that in spamassassin/spamd. But it appears that spamassassin just assigns a score if there is a DKIM_INVALID situation and that score seems to be pretty low. Is this really the right way to handle receiving messages where DKIM is concerned? I'm sure there is a way to increase the DKIM_INVALID score, but not sure of the ramifications of that. Do any of you change those settings? Or do DKIM checking somewhere else for improvements?

On the outbound side of things.

For my DNS, I have SPF records that have been there for years, that affects other domains receiving mail from my server. So not sure how much good it does, but it's there.

I do not have DKIM set up. Many years ago it seemed pretty useless from what I read, so I didn't bother with it. From what I understand, if the receiving end doesn't check for DKIM, then it does nothing. Or like in my servers case, it just adds a tiny bit of score to spamassasin, so minimal help. But maybe enough are doing something more robust now for it to be useful. Maybe I should implement this now?

What are everyone's thoughts on all this in 2019? Should I be doing stricter checking of spf? Does DKIM actually provide a useful service? And are there better ways to handle DKIM checking?

All discussion and help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks Gary

--
Gary Bowling