I think I found the problem.  Maybe.

Last night I created a new list, and then I added and removed subscribers
via the web interface and the command line (fixing the directory/file
ownership after using the CLI as root) and I had no issues.

I suspect the issue is that all of the lists in question are old, and were
migrated via rsync from an older toaster.  I suspect there is an
incompatibility between the way the subscribers were stored with an older
version of ezmlm vs the version I am running now.  I plan to work with one
of my friends, who owns several of the broken lists in question, to delete
and re-create them.  They'll lose any archived messages, but from my
testing it seems the user lists will become manageable again.

-Chris