This explanation is in our dovecot.conf

namespace {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  prefix =
# prefix = INBOX.
# Use 'prefix = INBOX.' for Courier-IMAP compatible transparent migration.
# This forces all client apps to create subfolders underneath/within
# the inbox instead of adjacent to it. It's not necessary to be that way.
# FWIW, shubes thinks this setting is annoying/rediculous/retarded.
# As a practical example, having no prefix allows mobile users to select
# which folders get synchronized. Otherwise their whole mailbox is
# synchronized, and they have no way to choose which folders they want sync'd.
  separator = .
  type = private
}