Eric Broch wrote on 3/27/22 7:32 PM:
> Can you explain what features you'd like to see...maybe why. I don't
> have my mind around the "why" of it.

The "why" of services like Apple's Hide my Email or disposable email
address systems like Sneakemail or the homebrew systems that I described
in my last message is to give you 'throwaway' addresses that you can
hand out to sites that you don't trust with your real address.

> Would it be like an alias? Would mail only be sent to the account? Would
> there be any credentials for logging in?
I think it would function like an alias, in the sense that anything sent
to one of the throwaways gets automatically forwarded to a real user's
mailbox.

Apple's Hide my Email (as I understand it) is integrated at the OS
level: whenever you're prompted to provide an email address, you have
the option to either auto-fill your real address, or autofill a
newly-generated throwaway that consists of a random character string.

Obviously, we can't get the same level of integration (unless Apple were
to open up APIs for 'address providers'). You can however take the
'prefixed address' approach that I described in my earlier message and
let users invent their own throwaways.

That's relatively easy to do, because you just tell users that they can
enter anything they like beginning with some prefix that is unique to
them; the prefix, and the alias that routes mails using that prefix, is
set up beforehand.

Doing a truly random address like Apple's Hide my Email addresses is
harder, because you need to generate the new address and then add it to
your database as an alias.

In essence, you'd need a web app that:

   1. Let users log in (probably with their qmail credentials)
   2. Generated a new disposable address on demand.
   3. Recorded that new address as an alias for their real address

It wouldn't be particularly hard to write, but it is more complex than a
solution based on prefixed addresses.

Angus