Rajith,

> It looks like we are comming towards some concensus on the M1 release.
> If there are no objections, I will cut a release candidate first thing
> tomorrow morning.
>
> I would also like to propose an informal code freeze, so as to not rock
> the boat by checking in any significant changes.
> From now on until we cut the final release only critical bug fixes or
> infrastrucutre details (license ..etc) should be checked in.

In general, locking trunk for any significant amount of time is
discouraged.   Any of the commiters should be allowed to commit to trunk
at any time.   If a commiter goes on vacation for month and comes back,
they should be able to pick up right where they left off with any stuff
they were working on without worry about if a release is locking the
trunk or not.

If you need control in order to do a release, it is recommended to create
a release branch and, as the release manager, selectively merge changes
from trunk to the release branch if those commits meet your requirements
for your release.   No one said being a release manager is an easy
job.  :-)

That all said, I would probably ask (politely) Steve to hold off on
merging the maven stuff to trunk for a few days.  Those changes are huge
and would make other changes hard to merge to your release branch.

The httpd project has a very good page describing their processes for the
release manager:
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html
In particular, read the section entitled:
"How does an impending release affect development?"

Enjoy!
Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp