Dear Kenneth and list,

we are on Linux RH 7.3, xinetd of course.

The /etc/xinetd.d/popper contains

service pop3
{
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
#        server                  = /etc/popper
        server                  = /usr/local/sbin/popper
        server_args             = -s
        log_on_success          += USERID
        log_on_failure          += USERID
        #disable                        = yes
}

The version of qpopper is the last one.
I only verified that a pid was corresponding to a line of the maillog file where it appeared the same number of popper process together with an error:

-ERR Too few arguments for the pass command

But I could not verify it for the other cases (maillog too large), perhaps I had better given you a more significant statistics.

Ciao and thank you.
Yours Ezio.