John Peacock wrote:
> There is an interesting hack in Dovecot that I was thinking of copying
> for Qpsmtpd:  a pasword scheme definition that includes the local (to
> the server) encryption used.  For example, {CRYPT}password would mean
> that the plaintext password passed in (while TLS was in force) would be
> crypt()'d and then compared with what is in the user database (ex.), see
>
>     http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication
>
> for details.
>
> This allows the plaintext password to be passed from the client inside a
> TLS wrapper, and yet be encrypted on disk at all times.  This is far
> more secure than any of the challenge methods, which require storing the
> plaintext password on the server...

Yes - I use Dovecot SASL on a couple of systems with back-end password
databases that contain encrypted password hashes created using dovecotpw.

I use Postfix -> Dovecot SASL -> Password-file on a mail relay host for
example.  In its simplest form the password file looks something like:

james:{HMAC-MD5}6c431bcaeab7basdfgq4534tdfbvsdfgdaa2ba23357c7

But from memory you can also specify additional fields to be retrieved.

It's a good idea for a potential feature - though you do need to also
distribute some way for people to securely hash their passwords.

Regards

James Turnbull

--
James Turnbull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>