Guy Hulbert wrote:
> Using rand is bogus.  A random number generator will repeat values.

So you would definitely not like #2 and probably not #1.  How about #3
and $4?

> Time (with sufficient resolution) is equivalent to a sequence ... but
> with threads, you would need a lock on the sequence generator.

In our case a repetition is not a highly critical problem.  (Not enough
to justify using a centralized sequence generator.)  Repetition just
reduces the readability of the logs.  Given that the logs are even less
readable without these id's I'd say we are in a better position to
implement something rather than nothing.

--
JT Moree